Canadian Pacific opened the Royal Alexandra Hotel in Winnipeg in 1906 and expanded it in 1914. Despite not following the chateau style of other CP hotels, the railway proudly proclaimed the Alexandra to be the most luxurious CP hotel yet. That title would last only a couple of years until CP opened the Empress Hotel in Victoria, but the Royal Alexandra was nonetheless the largest hotel between Toronto and Calgary for many years.
The hotel served as Winnipeg’s chief social center for much of the early 20th century, and its finest suite rented for $1,000 a night. By the time this booklet was issued in 1960, however, the hotel was fading fast. CP closed it in 1967 and the building was demolished in 1971. The hotel’s restaurant was saved and reconstructed at the Museum of Rail Travel in Cranbrook, British Columbia.