This menu features a brilliant, hand-colored photo of the Grand Canyon on the front cover, and a black-and-white photo of the “new Union Pacific Grand Canyon Lodge” on the back. New was right: the lodge was barely completed in time for a photo to be included in the 1928 Zion-Bryce-Grand Canyon booklet. Sadly, the lodge was destroyed in a fire in 1932 and it was not completely rebuilt until 1937. Guests stayed in cabins detached from the lodge, but dining facilities must have been outdoors during the intervening years.
Inside, the left side of the menu has breakfasts ranging from “eggs (2) scrambled or shirred” for 35 cents (about $4 today) to “broiled or boiled salt mackerel” for 75 cents (about $9). The right side mostly lists beverages including domestic and imported sarsaparilla, loganberry juice, and six different brands of water: White Rock, Perrier, Apollinaris, Shasta, Celestins, and Poland Spring. All of these brands survive in one form or another today.
The upper picture shows the lodge as completed in 1928; the lower photo is the lodge as rebuilt after the 1932. Click upper image for a larger view; click lower image to download a PDF of the postcard.