Burlington celebrated its centennial in 1949, but that marked a century since its earliest predecessor was granted a charter. That predecessor was known as the Aurora Branch Railroad, and by 1864, it had changed its name to Chicago, Burlington & Quincy and completed a 38-mile line to Chicago. This booklet marks the centennial of that line.
Aside from being the historic beginning of the railroad, Aurora was pretty important to the Burlington as the location of its main shops. But those shops are hardly mentioned here, with the focus instead being on the Chicago-Aurora line as the home of numerous commuter trains.