All but one of today’s postcards were published by the Barkalow Brothers. As mentioned here before, theyhad exclusive rights to print photo books, postcards, and similar items for sale in their newsstands that were located in many Union Pacific Stations. The Barkalow postcards are of a style that was used between about 1915 and 1930, though one of these is postmarked 1935.
The Cheyenne train station was completed in 1887 and made from sandstone quarried from near Ft. Collins, Colorado. Sometime in the 1930s, UP added a bus terminal for its Interstate buses and started calling the complex the “Cheyenne Transportation Center.”
Here’s a trackside view of the Cheyenne station. Since Amtrak trains no longer stop in Cheyenne, the station has been turned into the Wyoming Transportation Museum.
Until 1910, the train station for the town of Green River Wyoming was an old section house. In response to a petition by local residents, Union Pacific built this huge brick station, which seems pretty oversized considering the town had just 1,300 people at the time. This card was posted from Omaha to a town in Minnesota in 1935.
Milford Utah was on the line of the old Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad, which the Union Pacific took over in 1921. Opened in 1923, when the city’s population was about 1,300, the Mission-style station was designed by Los Angeles architects John & Donald Parkinson. It was torn down in about 1980.
The Caliente, Nevada, station is nearly identical to the Milford station and also opened in 1923. At the time, the town had fewer than 1,000 residents. The second floor was apparently used as a hotel. The station still exists and is used as a city hall and library.
This is a linen postcard, suggesting it is newer than any of the above cards. Boise’s station opened in 1925 and was designed by the New York architecture firm of Carrere, Hastings, Shreve and Lando. The station was restored by Morrison-Knudson to be an office building in 1990, but thanks to a series of bad investments (including the station restoration) the company went bankrupt and sold it to the city in 1996. The Boise parks department now operates the station and its well-maintained gardens for weddings, receptions, and community events.