Most Northern Pacific postcards specifically advertise the North Coast Limited, but these four do not. The first, which is from about 1911, advertises NP diners without mentioning the North Coast Limited in particular. NP was the first rail line to the Pacific coast to offer dining cars in 1883, but the other roads soon followed.
The font on the back of the next card looks fairly modern, but as a white-border card, it was probably issued before 1930. The card doesn’t say so, but the arch in the photo is usually called the Roosevelt Arch as Teddy Roosevelt laid the cornerstone. Perhaps NP had something against one or both Roosevelts.
In 1933, NP showed off its “Yellowstone-class (2-8-8-4) locomotive at the Chicago Century of Progress fair. Even though the locomotive was five years old at the time, it was still the longest, heaviest, and by some measures the most powerful steam engine on the rails. The following is not really a postcard as the back is blank.
By the 1948 Chicago rail fair, NP had entered the Diesel era and showed off one of its FT locomotives by comparing it with the railroad’s first engine, the Minnetonka. Unlike Great Northern’s earliest engine, the William Crooks, the Minnetonka was just used for construction work and not to haul revenue trains. Still, the fact that the railroad was able to find the locomotive (which it had sold to a logging railroad) and restore it was pretty fortunate. Like the Crooks, the Minnetonka currently is on display in Duluth.