1955 MacArthur Park Lunch Menu

This menu was issued February 10, 1955, for the City of St. Louis, but someone has pencilled “3-28-1955” on it, suggesting that it was actually used on that date. The menu has four main entrĂ©es: chef’s salad, filet of sole, corned beef hash, and Spanish omelet, plus plenty of a la carte items including the broiled club steak which, at $2.50 (about $18 today) is the most expensive thing on the menu.


Click image to download a 1.3-MB PDF of this menu.

The cover photo shows MacArthur Park, which was created as Westlake Park in 1880 and renamed for General Douglas MacArthur in 1942. The 1926 Westlake Theater, whose large sign is visible in the photo, still exists along with the sign, although it hasn’t been used as a theater in nearly 25 years. Wilshire Boulevard was built across the park in the early 1930s despite major protests and a lawsuit that went to the state supreme court. In a couple of weeks, we’ll see a later UP menu that shows the same scene from the other side of the park.


Comments

1955 MacArthur Park Lunch Menu — 1 Comment

  1. Another old scene taken when that was still Wilshire Park. Very old cars parked along the curb including what looks like a Model A on the left side. The solid traffic lane markings were hatched stripes by 1950. The bright red and white no parking making on the left curb was solid red by 1950. Even more telling are those beautiful street lights. They were all taken down in 1942 to be melted in the great WWII scrap drive, only to be replaced by more utilitarian, but less metal intensive, lights.

    Jim

Leave a Reply