In the late 1850s, Irish geographer John Palliser surveyed the boundary between the United States and Canada between Lake Superior and the Pacific Ocean, exploring many Canadian river valleys along the way. Canadian Pacific named its Calgary hotel, which it opened in 1914, after him. With additions made in 1929, the hotel had (when this booklet was issued) 481 rooms.
Calgary had just 50,000 residents when the hotel opened, and it had quintupled to 250,000 by the time this booklet was issued in 1961. Since then it has more than quadrupled to more than 1.1 million. Alberta’s oil industry and access to Banff National Park and nearby recreation areas have kept the hotel going for more than a century.