The Georgian began life in November, 1946 as a six-car (four coaches, diner, and tavern-lounge) streamlined day train built by American Car & Foundry that operated between St. Louis and Atlanta. This route was apparently not particularly successful, however, and the train was terminated on May 15, 1948. On June 1st of that same year, the train was revived as an 11-car overnight train between Chicago and Atlanta. The train used the same equipment as the earlier train plus a heavyweight baggage-dorm and four heavyweight sleepers painted aluminum to match the streamlined coaches. Some time during the 1950s, lightweight cars replaced the heavyweight sleepers.
Click image to download a PDF of this letterhead. Click here to download a PDF of a matching envelope.
In its Atlanta-St. Louis incarnation, the train rode exclusively over the rails of the Louisville & Nashville Railroad and its wholly owned subsidiary, the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis. To reach Chicago, however, the train used the Chicago & Eastern Illinois from Evansville, Indiana to Chicago. This letterhead obviously is from the Chicago train.