James J. Hill’s Great Northern Railway opened a magnificent station in Minneapolis in 1913. Although the station was prominently marked with the name “Great Northern,” it also served the Northern Pacific, Burlington, Chicago & North Western, Chicago Great Western, and Minneapolis & St. Louis railroads. The St. Paul Road–or, as it was later known, the Milwaukee Road–had its own train station which was also used by the Soo Line, probably because Hill had such an abrasive relationship with the Soo’s parent road, the Canadian Pacific.
This timetable, only a portion of which is shown above, was posted in the station from July 20 to September 27, 1952, and shows the arrival and departure times of all trains served by the station. A total of 60 daily trains are listed, plus two Soo Line trains out of the Milwaukee station to Duluth shown as a courtesy as a part of GN/NP/Soo’s pool service. This is far more than the 28 trains a day the Milwaukee station served at its height–and the Great Northern station probably served far more than 60 trains a day before the Great Depression.
Judging from the style of the streetcar, the photograph on this postcard was probably taken soon after the station opened in 1913.